NIT is now offering a new carpentry vocational program. Grant funding available for qualified applicants! Contact NIT today for more information!
This 8-week program combines classroom and practical hands-on experience developed by the National Center for Construction Education and Research (NCCER). Students will receive training for Carpentry Level One with key elements of Carpentry Level Two to help familiarize them with real world situations.
Students will be equipped with their own toolbox, including hand-tools and PPE that they keep upon course completion, helping them be prepared to start working in the construction industry as soon as possible.
10/31/2022 - 12/23/2022
- NCCER Core Curriculum
- Orientation to the Trade
- Building Materials, Fasteners and Adhesives
- Hand and Power Tools
- Introduction to Construction Drawings, Specifications, and Layout
- Floor Systems
- Wall Systems
- Ceiling Joist and Roof Framing
- Basic Stair Layout
- Introduction to Building Envelope Systems
- Roofing Applications
- Commercial Drawings
- Thermal and Moisture Protection
- Exterior Finishing
- Doors and Door Hardware
- Window, Door, Floor, and Ceiling Trim
CERTIFICATIONS OR CERTIFICATES
Graduates who successfully complete the course have the opportunity to earn the following certifications or certificates.
- OSHA 10 Hour Construction
- Forklift Safety
- Qualified Rigger & Signal Person
- First Aid
- NCCER Level One Carpentry Certification
- NIT Certificate of Completion
LENGTH OF PROGRAM
- 8 week Program (Homework Required)
FORMAT OF PROGRAM
- Monday - Thursday - 40 hours a week
- Conducted in person at the Main Campus in Palmer, Alaska
PREREQUISITES FOR ENROLLMENT
- 18 Years of Age
- Social Security Card
- State Issued Photo ID or Driver’s License
- Pre-Participation Physical
- Steel Toed Boots
It is the applicant’s responsibility to secure funding or provide payment for tuition and any training related costs. Additional costs not included in this price are, but not limited to: drug test and physicals, transportation, room and board, child care, etc.